NGB

NGB
Click to visit our fan page!

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Empire State of Mind

FINALLY!!! The first episode of Next Great Baker premiered! As promised, I am gonna blog about the first episode. Sorry I am a week late! Didn’t really get a chance to listen or watch during the premier parties Aimee and I hosted, was more mingling and drinking with loved ones. So I barely had time to finally watch my DVR recording as I was baking my butt off for my brother’s baby shower. Now, as Buddy likes to say, “It’s go time!”

 

The episode starts with all the cast walking into what is called “the arena”... WOW! This place is AMAZING! Full kitchen, cake decorating products I have only heard of, ingredients galore! This place is Disneyland for cake decorators! Just looking around my mind was running a mile a minute thinking of the great cakes we are gonna make for Buddy. Scoping out the competitors “judging by their cover” I’m thinking Aimee and I got this. Everyone seems to have their guard really high up, using their personalities as a cover up for their nervousness, nothing wrong with that, we were exactly the same. I honestly felt like we were in the Hunger Game (me being Katniss of course). Out of all of the competitors the New York team caught my attention. They were appointed the table right behind us which I always hated in school because 99% of the time the bully always stood behind me, and with those accents, FML! I’m thinking that Meredith chick better not attack me, hahaha!

 

Then in walks Buddy Valastro himself! He makes us make out hometown dessert in 45 minutes... That’s it. No hi, no wassup, just shut up and feed me type deal. OK! Aimee decided on doing tres leche cake. Chula Vista was known for being the lemon capital, but recently I have seen no lemons with the exception of the annual Lemon Festival. So we decided to create something that remind us of the Hispanic community because that for us, is home. I mean, Aimee is now the minority in the city, lol. We put it in a martini glass because our original design to make an all edible tres leches cupcake with chocolate being our “liner”, unfortunately the chocolate wasn’t setting so Aimee had a great idea in presenting it in a martini glass, genius! My heart broke when David and Elaine’s cake didn’t bake, it looked like chorro! Time ended and it’s time to present!

 

HOLY SH**! Jacques Torres and Bobby Lloyd! I remember watching Jacques TV, guy is amazing! Pretty bummed they didn’t like our dessert. We hesitated in not drenching all the cake because when I have introduced a tres leches cake to someone who hasn’t tried it, the tend to freak out, but usually the like it when its reduced in drenching it. Little did I know Buddy sells it at his bakery, ugh!

 

So our cake challenge was to pick a destination in New York and create a cake inspired by it. Aimee pick Central Park, I’m just hoping is not shoveling horse sh**. Turns out it was a very glamorous task with the lovely Mary! I felt extremely bad about Kai and Rox’s car accident, we actually encountered it on out drive to New York. Thankfully they were safe as for everyone that was associated with the accident. Once we got back I noticed that everyone arrived and were able to work for a bit with the exception of Kai and Rox, =(.

 

The next day it was crunch time. Everyone was giving it their all to make an awesome cake. When I saw Kai and Rox working on a huge piece I though, “bye girls”. We developed a friendship with what we called “The back four” consisted of David and Elaine, Lia and Al, Don and Meredith, and Aimee and myself. These people are awesome! I was sure everyone else were cool people, but since we were so close to the other three tables, we were able to talk and laugh throughout the challenge.

 

Once all the cakes were done, I loved most, and confused about some. Brandy and Gingers was very confusing only because it did look like a cake one person can decorate in four hours. Since they were across the room I obviously could see them working on their cake, maybe they had a few disagreements throughout the challenge? Aimee and I had a lot more details planned for our cake but unfortunately the time crunch we had to scratch some ideas, that included the back, bad idea. Kai and Rox’s cake was very impressive and absolutely gorgeous, BUT on thing I have to comment on was that if someone walked in and saw that cake, they wouldn’t have known it was the Statue of Liberty, which was the main challenge. Other than that, they are both terrific artists. Al and Manny’s cake was very very good! They really surprised me on their work, my respects for them. Lia and Al’s as was my fellow back four cakes were really great. Bethany and Jennifer was really good, yes it was a small cake, but I enjoyed the detail. Fred and Barry’s was another confusing cake because when I saw them working on it I was like “F**k they are going to KILL this challenge” but I guess Fred injury got the best of him. Danielle and Julie’s cake wasn’t the greatest, but I felt it was one of the most ambitious one due to their skills. They loved our cake, but they tore us a new A because of the back. Lesson learned.

 

 

I was really shocked that David and Elaine were in the Elimination Challenge. It was a WTF moment. I seriously thought it was going to be Julie and Danielle. But because they won the previous challenge, they were safe. But I was extremely glad David and Elaine came back in the lounge. I guess Ginger bark was bigger than her bite. But I wish both ladies the best of luck. I have seen both of their work and they are amazing cake artist and they shouldn’t let this hiccup discourage them or make them feel bad.

 

I hope this blog wasn’t sloppy, most likely it was, but I’m sure I will improve in the next episode blog. Until next time my lovelies! Enjoy episode two tonight!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment